Saturday, January 22, 2011

Strait Jackets




I had just finished with the small rush moments before so I was taking a small breather when he walked into the shop.  A regular at the shop, I knew he wanted coffee and to be left alone.  I poured the coffee as he sat at the counter.  The town was preparing for the Polar Plunge – an event I think of as idiotic but it brings in business. 

Walking to end of the counter where the suggestion box was placed; each night I check it and each night there is nothing in it.  I wish this night was over – my feet are killing me!  I need to get better support in my shoes. 

I went back to him to refill his cup as he was pulling out his notepad and pen.  He wrote something down; mumbled something about a walk in this wind; paid and walked out…passing the suggestion box along the way.  He dropped that note he was writing into the box. 

As I finished closing; refilled the sugars, the salt and pepper shakers; I remembered the suggestion box.  Curiosity got the best of me – I had to read what he wrote.  My eyes opened wide and laughter spilled forth from inside me; he had written 
I suggest weighted strait jackets for the crazy people”. 
I left the suggestion in the box for the promoters of the Polar Plunge to read. 


©2011 jan/cb

No comments: