Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bits'n Pieces of Used Things



Today has been a day of so many hurried changes!
After about 15 months of unemployment - I have work again!
Yes, I am very happy as it is what I was searching for.

Now - my changes today kinda have to do with that work tomorrow.
Today - I took the car I bought LAST Saturday
and
bought a different car.
Yes - crazy huh?  well it has a saga.

Last Saturday, I bought a 2001 Ford Taurus SE.
Loaded and pristine!
I drove it that day for about 2 hours, left it alone for a day sitting in the driveway.
Monday came about and yes, you guessed it.
No ignition!!
To me it sounded like the alternator but it could be a dead battery.
Since the battery was new - doubtful!
However, I called the dealer and the owner himself came to my rescue.
The car started up and as instructed, I let it run to charge the battery.
Now remember, it is a new battery.
Next morning, I expected that pretty motor purr...
Nada..zip..nothing!  Not even the ticking of an alternator going bad!
So, once again, here comes the owner but he brought with him 
the mechanics and off they went with my car.

Three days later, I have the car.  The motor performing beautifully!
Since the car leaked a HUGE oil slick - he changed the master cylinder.
Just to be safe.
Checked the electrical system - just to be safe.
I ran the car all over the place. Freeway and street driving.
Parked it but in reverse to check for that oil slick again.
Yes, I have been known to actually use my head! lol!

Saturday morning - once again - it did not start.
This time, the owner showed with 3 mechanics.
The car would not start despite all the best efforts.   Now I am starting to stress.
I made a list:
As I was driving the night before one of the belts was starting to go.
Yes, the horrible cricket sound just got embarrassingly louder and louder!
The dash lights only lit up half way along with the lights for the gearbox.
Part of the door fell off - a cosmetic thing.
Now, I think what is really happening with the car - ignition issues connected with the alarm system.
*sigh*

So, the owner could not tow the car away as his tow service was not available.
Instead, today - Sunday, they picked me up
and
I was presented with a newer car.
2009 VW New Beetle.
No - not a turbo but still it is a car I am familiar with.

It is cute and very bright YELLOW!
Black leather interior and an awesome sound system.
A 5 Speed!!  Yeah!!!!
My inner demon is coming out!

The most important thing for me was that I had bought from a very ethical dealer.
In California, we do not have lemon laws.
We can return a car within 2 days - provided we purchase that option at signing.
Something I did not do as I did not anticipate this saga at all.
If the car had issues, you better have purchased the extended warranty and deal with the expenses.
psst...i did buy the warranty but the dealer decided to play very nice!

I was very lucky and I am counting my blessings.

Now, I can rest and not stress.
The old car will be gone tomorrow when they pick it up with the tow truck
and
most importantly, while I am at work.

;)


*here is where i should put a pic...but i don't have one!*




Now, time to pick out my outfit for tomorrow! :D


No comments: