Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Seeds Of Discontent



There are whispers in the dark; “What are you doing here?”
Playing with my mind; floating behind my eyes
Sometimes it is hatred coating levels of love in shades of grey
Seeds of discontentment; wasted shafts of wheat


“Who am I?”I beg the shadows in a trembling voice
Silence greets my queries; my soul trembles inside
My regrets – those mistakes are taking on a life of their own
Leaving me with increasing anguish over decisions long past


Traveling further along memory lane; here I see the wreckage
Parts discarded while some others were used to build something new
A psychological wasteland; haunting vibrations are still felt
My heart trembles at the memories; my mouth dries out


“It’s a way of life” says a whispered voice
I turn quickly but see only a faint shadow fleeing
My heroes have turned to dust; were they ever really here?
The memories are piling up now; headstones of days gone by


“Remember the rules of engagement” another voice urges
My forehead forming into wrinkles of concentration
The road is dusty now; in a state of disrepair
Breathing the musty air; memories now very vague


My steps are shorter now; my mind becomes weary
There is tightness in my chest building
Something is very near; breathing is difficult
My fear starts to increase as rusted fences start to appear


“Come closer, you are almost there” that voice now sounds so familiar
Pushing hard against that fence; the lock finally pops
The shadows part as fog when the sun hits it; leaving me stunned
It seemed that with the passing years – it has grown!


Limbs in the color of dark mahogany; gnarled and twisted
Decaying leaves all around; the odor increasing in putrid smell
Voices now were clamoring inside my head; “Run! Run!”
My feet were made of clay; my body and mind frozen in but a second


It took me into its darkness; now I became its victim once again
The tree from which my discontent was born; those vile seeds from days past
Wrapped its horny limbs around me; cradled me to sleep
My doom was met; my fate was sealed by those seeds of discontent



© 2010 14 september/cb



No comments: