Friday, December 23, 2011

IF





If I should die today
I know it would not have been in vain

My life would have been filled
With the touch of the wind in my hair
The caress of the warm heat of the sun upon my skin

My lungs would have been filled with the air
Sometimes not so clean but still allowing me
To breathe and continue on another day

The sweetness of life would have been upon my lips
My tongue savoring all that is delicate and harsh
Neither of which would have been spared or withheld

The wealth of emotions would have been my playground
I would have used as well as have been used
Eventually torturing my psyche and my soul

But IF is still a long way off

I have yet to experience the softness of my love’s caress
To feel his heart beating fast and hard
After a long session of love making

The murmur of his voice in my ear in the mornings
Along with the caress from his unshaven face
The feel of his hands as he lifts me into ecstasy

There are the years ahead of shared laughter and secret smiles
Of conversations serious and fulfilling
As well as those filled with just the silliness of life

THEN and only then

When the promise of life has been finally fulfilled
When thousand of kisses have been given and stolen
When a love so strong that it crossed time and space has endured

Then death can take my hand and I will follow
I will take a long last look at my love’s face
Dancing slowly without fear death’s dance

Though the tears may cloud my eyes
The memories of the years past will flood through me
Sustaining me as my lips brush his once more before I die

© December 23, 2011/cb

No comments: