Friday, August 6, 2010

Regrets



The light filtered through the bay windows as I cleaned the table.  It was a small breakfast table-the kind which allowed for intimacy.  It was centered in the garden room where the early morning light was the best.  I can still hear the clink of the glassware and the silver as the table was set.  It seated four, a round glass table top with beveled edges and four English antique chairs. 

Looking at these chairs sure brought back a flood of memories.  My daughter had fallen backwards on one-the back of the chair saving her head and a trip to the emergency room.  Mom could only yell about how expensive the chair was.  She was still yelling when my 2 year old offered up her savings-at the time- two pennies.   Tears welled up in my eyes at the memory.  The look on her face was just heart-breaking as tears rolled down her small face.  Still Mom yelled about the cost of repair as she looked at her grand-daughter’s welling eyes.  I remember holding her small body and just giving my Mother a look of incredibility.   That memory still burns with pain.  How can she be so inconsiderate-so mean!

Shaking my head loose from the past, I continued to clean the table, moving the antique lace runner where a glass red apple rested-another memory intruded.  Dad was laughing at some stupid joke he made-his laughter bouncing off the high ceiling.  I smiled at that as I remember that conversation.  We were arguing about how the ceiling was going to be fixed.  I knew we needed to get someone younger to climb but no-he insisted on doing the work himself.  He had crawled into the small attic-really more like a crawlspace-and became stuck!  I was laughing so hard and so was he until we realized that if we could not get him unstuck-the fire department would!  Then the ceiling really would have a huge hole!  Finally the laughter stopped as he started to pass out-it was hot that day and the space he was in did not have air-conditioning.  He finally managed to get himself loose and crawl out.  He looked a mess!  Our eyes met and all we could do was laugh our heads off.  Smiling to myself-it was one of those things that you really had to be there for.  It was a memory shared only between Dad and me.   

I wish Mom could have been there-maybe she would not be so bitter now.  He was so different with me.  Well-maybe that was the problem between her and me.

I sat down for a moment in his chair-funny how it will always be his chair.   Before me flashed my last conversation with my mother as we shared a meal.  It ended badly that day.  She was really on a roll.  As much as I tried to be cordial-nothing satisfied her.  I guess the last trigger was when I shared a religious observation-one she did not agree with-which brought forth that last tirade.   She just did not want to be stopped.  Her words just gather speed.  Like a rock gathering moss as it rolls downhill-they became filled with vile and hate.  Her face contorted into someone I did not know.  Truth be known-I really did not know her.  I tried to understand her but she was never easy.  She was a riddle to me.  Her verbal attack continued.  She just let it out on the only person there-me.  She did not know I knew how her marriage started-how many times she would berate Dad.  She did not know of my silent tears when he was close to his end-how I heard her cruelty with him.  She called me irresponsible and immoral-I knew it was not true. I took it-painful stab after painful stab-I took it all.  She wanted to see me break-I did not give her the satisfaction.

The next day she did not wake at her usual hour.  Her bedroom door remained closed.  Finally I entered after not receiving any answer to my knock.  I found her in the bathroom-her final end was one of nature’s call-not in a graceful situation.   I cleaned her body up and made sure she was presentable.  Even in death, I could not let her be seen in a bad light.  Her eyes were now in their grey color-the color she gets when she is tired.  Her skin was now cold-rigor had set in. 

I sat with her until the paramedics arrived to pronounce her dead.  As per her wishes-her body was taken directly to the mortuary and then to the crematorium.  She did not want any mourners.  She died alone-as she always verbalized.  I wonder if she regretted that decision at all.  I wonder if she ever found peace.  In the end, it was dark for her.  She never saw another sunrise. 

A single tear rolls down my face as regrets rack my body.  Closing my eyes I see her before me-only this time smiling and happy.  I guess I have my answer to my question about her.  Beside her is Dad-lovingly holding her hand-she was now at peace as her meanness had disappeared. I guess what she needed was his love to herself.  Even her children were a challenge.  They both walk away-leaving me alone.  Opening my eyes, I finish with the cleaning.

I take one last look around at the home I have known all my life.  What few regrets I have had in my life-I leave them here.  The house is now a mausoleum of memories.  Leaving the keys in the front foyer, I leave the house to start my own life away from here.  The realtor will be here soon enough. 



© 2010 6 august/cb

No comments: