Sunday, June 20, 2010

Inheritance



You held my small hand in yours



With tenderness you caressed my tiny fingers


My small eyes looked into yours


Though you thought I was blind-I was not








You held me in your strong arms


I could feel your hesitation but you did not back away


You protected me-became my guide from that moment on


Sometimes we walked together on paths known to you








With time those paths became stranger and scary


You held me tight and would not let me go


Then we came to a road where you knew


I needed to find my legs to walk then to run








You understood my need for independence


When I would trip or fall-you held back


You knew I would figure it out-I would use my mind


As you also knew that if I needed to –I would call for you








I watched all you did for me and knew that it was a gift


There were no ties or conditions-you just did


From you I learned what patience was-and my lack of it


You showed me what heart was and tried to emulate








My inheritance from you was your sense of humor


You smile, your laughter and your joy for life


You left me your legacy of tolerance for all people


To view things from all sides-even upside down!








You have been my mirror and I have been yours


In you I saw the good that you have given me


In me you saw the results of which I hope you approve!


I am who I am because of you








I will not squander what you have given me


They are much to precious to be kept to myself


This I will share with those around me


Inheritances are meant to be shared







© 2010 20 june/cb


*HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the men who have been gifted with children!

No comments: